Whether you’re making a vegetarian or non-vegetarian curry, this Nepali curry sauce recipe is a perfect blend of spices, is full of flavor, and is the perfect sauce to keep on hand for quick and delicious curries at any time.
I prepare this curry sauce regularly for both vegetarian and non-vegetarian curries. Not only is it simple to make, but it doesn’t require any coconut milk or cream – a definite plus!
This sauce combines simple ingredients like tomatoes and onions with a blend of spices to create an aromatic sauce that enhances any dish.
You’ll surely impress your guests with this sauce, whether using it to make traditional curry or incorporating it into your recipe.
Here is a delicious and easy-to-follow Nepali curry sauce recipe for your next curry.
Table Of Contents
What is Curry Sauce?
The curry sauce is a flavorful blend of spices, herbs, and other ingredients that varies depending on the region and recipe. It is commonly associated with Indian and Southeast Asian cuisine. Common ingredients in Nepali curry sauce include turmeric, cumin, coriander, ginger, garlic, chili peppers, tomato, and onion.
Curry sauce can be used in various dishes, including curries, stir-fries, marinades, and dips.
Ingredients For Curry Sauce
#Tomato, Onion and Garlic
- Turmeric powder
- Curry powder
- Red Kashmiri chili powder
- Cumin seeds
- Ginger powder ( You can use fresh ginger)
- Olive oil or any vegetable oil of your choice.
Step-By-Step Instructions To Make Nepali Curry Sauce Recipe
#1 Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add oil once the pan is hot. After that, add the cumin seeds. Cook the cumin seeds for a minute or two until they turn brown.
#2 Add chopped onion to the pan. Combine everything well. Cook until the onion softens.
#3 Add all spices: turmeric, masala, Kashmiri chili, salt to taste, ginger, and garlic. Mix everything well and let it cook for a minute.
#4 After the onion and spices are cooked, add chopped tomatoes. Combine everything well. Pour 1/2 cup of water into the pan. Cover the pan with the lid and cook for 5 minutes until the tomatoes are mushy and well-cooked.
#5 Once cooked, let it cool for 5-10 minutes. Once it has cooled, transfer the cooked paste to a blender. In a blender, add 1/4 cup of water. Blend it for 20-30 seconds until it forms a fine paste.
Finally, pour the sauce into a glass or an airtight container to refrigerate or use it immediately for curries.
You can store curry sauce in an airtight container and refrigerate it for 4-5 days. This time frame will ensure the sauce stays fresh and retains its flavor. After this time frame, it’s best to discard the sauce as it may have lost its taste and freshness. Remove the sauce from the fridge whenever you need it to make curry.
Did you make a Nepali curry sauce recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out by commenting below.
Other Nepali Recipes
Nepali Curry Sauce Recipe (Perfect Curry Sauce)
- 3 Tomato ( 2 cup of chopped tomatoes)
- 1 Onion (1 cup of chopped onion)
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Curry powder
- 1/4 tsp Red chili Kashmiri powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Ginger powder ( or minced ginger)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil or any vegetable oil of your choice
- 1/4 tsp Salt (As per taste)
- Start by heating a pan over medium-high heat. Then add oil. Add cumin seeds next. Cook the cumin seeds for a minute or two until they turn brown.
- Add chopped onion to the pan. Combine everything well and cook until the onion softens.
- Once the onion softens, add all spices: turmeric, curry powder, red chili, Kashmiri powder, ginger, and garlic. Mix everything well and let it cook for a minute.
- After the onion and spices are cooked, add chopped tomatoes. Combine everything well. Pour 1/2 cup of water into the pan. Cover the pan with the lid and cook for 5 minutes until the tomatoes are mushy and well-cooked.
- Once cooked, let it cool for 5-10 minutes. Once it has cooled, transfer the cooked paste to a blender. In a blender, add 1/3 cup of water and blend it for 20-30 seconds until it forms a fine paste.
- Pour the sauce into a glass or an airtight container.
If you tried this recipe, please let me know how it turned out in the comments below. If you liked it, remember to rate the recipe. Your feedback helps other readers decide if they want to make this recipe. Thank you!