Try this Nepali chicken choila recipe (Nepali chicken salad ) if you are bored eating the same chicken salad. This is a must-try and one of my favorite nepali appetizers to make!
Choila is a traditional Newari dish from Nepal made with spiced, grilled, or roasted meat, typically buffalo or chicken. It is a popular dish in Nepal, usually served with chuira(beaten rice) and achar (pickled vegetables). This dish is well known for its unique blend of spices and flavors. There is nothing more delicious than this appetizer for a party with your friends and family. Here is easy chicken Choila recipe step-by-step with photo instructions.
- Ingredients You Need
- What To Serve With Chicken Choila?
- Healthier Version Of Chicken Choila
Ingredients You Need For Nepali Chicken Choila
- Chicken breast
- Green Chili
- Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Oil : Mustard oil or any vegetable of your choice
- Fenugreek seeds
- Turmeric powder
- Kashmiri chili powder
- Sichuan pepper (Timur)
- Masala powder (Meat or any curry powder)
- Cumin powder
Step-By-Step-Photo-Instructions To Make Nepali Chicken Choila
#1 Firstly, slice the chicken breast into halves, or if you prefer, cut the chicken breast into small pieces.
#2 Then, add one tablespoon of oil to the pan. Once hot, add chicken. The chicken should be cooked on each side for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
#3 Once cooked, let it cool down for few minutes before shredding or cutting it into small pieces.
#4 Boil the tomato for 4-6 minutes on medium-high heat.
Tips: You can grill or boil tomatoes. It’s up to you.
#5 Once the tomato is cooked, mash the tomato using a blender or Silauta. (That’s what we use in Nepal)
#6 Transfer shredded chicken breast, half a cup of onion, 1/3 cup cilantro, and tomato paste to the bowl. Then add all spices; (1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon masala powder, 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder, salt as per taste, 1/2 teaspoon red Kashmiri chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon Sichuan pepper) and one tablespoon lemon juice to the bowl. Add minced ginger, garlic, and green chili to the bowl.
Tips: Please feel free to add green chili according to your taste. Since I like my choila spicy, I’ve added two green chilies.
#7 Lastly, add half a tablespoon to a pan. Once hot, add the 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds. Cook for a few minutes until brown. After that, pour the oil into the bowl. Mix everything well, and chicken choila is ready to serve!
What To Serve With Chicken Choila?
Chicken Choila is usually served in Nepal with beaten rice (Chuira). However, whenever I prepare chicken Choila, I often pair it with roti or bread, sometimes even with rice and healthy lassi. In short, chicken choila pairs well with rice, chuira, or naan! I have to say that this dish is quite tasty on its own as well.
Healthier Version Of Chicken Choila
You can also prepare chicken choila in a healthier version if you want. To prepare a healthier version of this recipe, boil the chicken in water instead of frying it. Also, you can ignore the oil during the mixing step while following the rest of the recipe.
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think. I am also happy to answer any questions or suggestions you may have.
Other Chicken Recipes You Might Enjoy
Nepali Chicken Choila Recipe (Nepali Chicken Salad)
- 6 oz Chicken breast (171 gm)
- 1 Tomato (Medium sized)
- 1/2 cup Chopped onion
- 1 tsp Minced ginger
- 2 Garlic
- 1/3 cup Chopped cilantro
- 2 Green chili (As per taste)
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- Salt (As per taste)
- 1/4 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chili Kashmiri powder
- 1/4 tsp Sichuan pepper powder (Timur ko chop)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Masala powder
- 1 ½ tbsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- Prepare chicken breast by slicing it in half or, if you prefer, cut the chicken breast into small pieces.
- Add one tablespoon of oil to the pan. Once hot, add chicken. Cook chicken for 2-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Once cooked, let it cool down for a few minutes before shredding the chicken breast.
- Boil tomatoes for 5 minutes on high heat until they're well cooked. If you prefer, you can grill instead.
- Make tomato paste using a mixer or Silauta after the tomato is cooked.
- Then transfer chicken, onion, cilantro, minced ginger, garlic, and tomato paste to the bowl. Then add all spices (turmeric powder, masala powder, cumin powder, salt, red Kashmiri chili powder, Sichuan pepper) and lemon juice to the bowl. Depending on your taste, add green chilies. I am adding two green chilies.
- Finally, add half a tablespoon to a pan. Once hot, add the fenugreek seeds. Cook for a few minutes until brown. After that, pour the oil into the bowl. Mix everything well, and chicken choila is ready to serve!Serve with rice, chuira, roti or eat alone!
If you tried this recipe, please let me know how it turned out in the comments below. If you liked it, remember to rate the recipe. Your feedback helps other readers decide if they want to make this recipe. Thank you!