Are you tired of eating the same plain fried rice? Try spicing it up with masala, the perfect blend of spices! Masala egg fried rice is an easy and flavorful dish for lunch or dinner. Here’s all you need to know to make a delicious step-by-step Masala Egg Fried Rice.
I love rice in any form – boiled, steamed, or fried. In Nepal, we call the fried rice “Bhuteko Bhaat.” Masala Egg Fried Rice is my favorite dish to make when I have any leftover rice.
It is the perfect dish to add to your regular menu. It is easy to make, delicious, nutritious and can be served as a meal or a side dish.
Whether you are hosting a party, planning a family dinner, or just looking for something new with leftover rice, this masala egg fried rice recipe is perfect for any occasion!
What is Masala Fried Rice?
Masala egg fried rice is a fusion of Indian and Chinese cuisine, with the addition of aromatic spices like cumin, coriander, turmeric and seasonings.
It is a perfect meal for any time of day, whether it be breakfast, lunch, dinner, or even brunch. This dish is a great way to use leftover rice and can be prepared in under 30 minutes.
It is also important to note that this recipe is highly customizable. This simple dish can be tailored to suit your taste and preferences.
Here is a step by step instructions and all ingredients you need to make masala egg fried rice recipe.
Ingredients Required For Masala Egg Fried Rice
#Rice: Leftover rice. You can use any long-grain rice if you do not have Basmati rice.
Note: If you don’t have leftover rice for fried rice, cook a fresh batch of rice and let it cool slightly before using it in the recipe.
#Eggs: Eggs add protein to the fried rice and increase flavor.
#Vegetables: Frozen vegetables(carrots, peas, and corn.) You can add any vegetables of your choice like bell pepper, cabbage including onion, and garlic.
#Spices: Turmeric, cumin powder, and coriander powder. These spices give the dish its signature flavor. If you do not have cumin or coriander powder, you can use garam masala instead.
#Sauce: Dark soy sauce adds umami richness, savory flavor, and a beautiful golden-brown color to fried rice.
#Oil: Olive oil or any vegetable oil.
#Seasonings: Salt and pepper to enhance the flavor of the dish.
#Garnishing: I am using dill for this recipe but feel free to use cilantro or scallion.
Step-by-Step Photo Instructions
#1. Add the oil to a pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add garlic and let them cook for a minute. Add finely chopped onions and sauté until the onions turn soft.
#2. Add mixed vegetables to the pan. Sauté for a few minutes until the vegetables are slightly tender.
#3. Add the eggs and scramble until lightly cooked. Then, add all the spices (cumin powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder) and pepper.
#4. Then add the rice to the pan. Mix well with the vegetables and egg.
#5. Add soy sauce evenly, season with salt, and cook for a few minutes until ingredients combine and heat through. Once cooked, turn off the heat and remove the pan from the heat. Garnish with dill or fresh coriander leaves for added freshness.
Serving masala egg fried rice is easy and can be done in various ways. It can be served as an entrée for a party, a snack on its own, or as part of a larger meal.
Here are some ideas for serving this delicious dish:
#As a Side Dish:
- Masala egg fried rice can be served as a side dish to complement any main dish. It pairs well with any kind of curry or gravy dish like dal or paneer. It can also be served along with grilled meats or fish. I love to pair it with a Nepali chicken chili recipe.
#As a Main Dish:
- The masala egg fried rice can serve as a main course for lunch or dinner. This is a great one-dish meal option that is satisfying and nutritious. It can be served with a fresh salad or yogurt.
Other Fried Rice Recipes
If you’re looking for more fried recipes to try, here are a few great options!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the secret ingredient that gives restaurant-style fried rice its flavor?
The secret ingredient that gives restaurant-style fried rice its flavor is MSG (monosodium glutamate). However, it is not recommended to use it as it can have negative health effects..
How to make masala egg fried rice for more flavor?
Add sauces like oyster, sriracha, or even tomato ketchup for more flavor. You can also add sesame oil.
What are some variations of egg-fried rice?
Some variations of egg fried rice include adding chicken, shrimp, or tofu. One can add different vegetables, such as broccoli, mushrooms, or cabbage. Experiment with different seasonings and sauces to make them more flavorful.
Masala Egg Fried Rice (Quick and Easy Recipe)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cup pre-cooked rice
- 1 cup frozen vegetables
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (dark soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat.1 tbsp olive oil
- Once hot, add garlic and sauté until the garlic is slightly brown.2 cloves chopped garlic
- Add chopped onion and sauté until soft.½ cup chopped onion
- Add the frozen vegetables and saute until they're slightly tender.1 cup frozen vegetables
- Next, add the eggs and scramble them with the vegetables. Add spices and pepper and let it cook for 2-3 minutes..2 eggs, ½ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, ¼ tsp black pepper
- Add the cooked rice and mix everything together. After that, add soy sauce and combine everything well.3 cup pre-cooked rice, 1 tbsp soy sauce (dark soy sauce)
- Add salt to taste. Turn off the heat and remove the pan from the heat. Garnish with dill or fresh coriander leaves for added freshness.salt to taste, 1 tbsp chopped dill
If you tried this recipe, please let me know how it turned out in the comments below. If you liked it, remember to rate the recipe. Your feedback helps other readers decide if they want to make this recipe. Thank you!