Jhol momo achar is quite popular in Nepal, where I’m from. If you are a momo lover like me, try momo with jhol(soup) achar.
It is one of my favorite sauces to eat with momos. If you’re looking for a soup-like consistency, a tangy taste, and a spicy, savory flavor that’s ideal for dipping momos, this is the perfect choice. Here is my simple and easy jhol momo soup recipe ( achar) / peanut & sesame momo sauce.
What Is Jhol Momo?
The term jhol refers to a thin gravy or sauce that is used in Nepali cuisine. Jhol Momo is a Nepali dumpling dish consisting of steamed momos (dumplings) served in a spicy tomato-based soup with peanuts or soybeans.
Ingredients You Need For Jhol Momo Soup
- Tomato: Tomato is the key ingredients of this sauce. Use plum tomatoes.
- Onion: The type of onion you choose is entirely up to you, but I recommend using white onion.
- Ginger/Garlic: You can use ginger garlic paste or use it as a whole.
- Chilli: You can use either green or red chilies and adjust the spice level according to your taste.
- White sesame seeds: Sesame seeds need to be toasted and powdered, which you can do in a coffee grinder or a food processor.
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper
- Roasted peanuts
- Red chilly powder
- Cumin seeds
- Turmeric powder
- Masala powder
- Any vegetable oil – Sunflower oil, Olive oil.
- 3 cups of water
Step-By-Step Photo Instructions
#1 Chop all the ingredients; tomato, onion, green chili, ginger, and garlic. Heat the pan on medium heat, and add 1 tbsp oil.
#2 Add 1/2 tsp cumin and cook it for a min.
#3 Add green chili and saute it for a min. And then add ginger and garlic to the pan.
#4 After that, add onion and cook it for 2-3 min on high heat.
#5 Add all seasoning turmeric powder, red chili powder, masala powder and mix it well.
#6 Add tomatoes and mix all ingredients, an cook it for 5mins. Add pepper and salt to taste.
#7 Add 1/2 cup of water to the pan, mix it well and cook it until it’s mushy and cooked. Cover with the lid for 2-3 mins on medium heat. Once cooked, let the sauce cool down for 5-7 mins.
#8 Transfer the sauce to the blender. Add toasted peanuts, sesame seeds, and coriander to the pot. Add 1/2 cup of water to the mix. For 20-40 seconds, blend it until you have a fine paste.
#9 Transfer the sauce to the pan. Add 1/2 cup of water, cover the pan with the lid and cook it for 5-6 mins on high heat.
#10 Once you see bubbles rising, turn off the gas. Finally, add tsp of lemon juice and stir it well. Let it cool down jhol before serving it with hot momos.
I hope you enjoy the jhol momo soup as much as I do!
Please let me know what you think of this recipe by commenting below!
Jhol Momo Recipe | Jhol Momo Soup
- 3 medium Tomatoes
- 2 gm Ginger (Roughly 1/2 tsp minced ginger)
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- ⅓ cup Chopped onion
- 2-3 leaves Cliantro
- 2 Green chilies
- 1 tbsp Oil
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp Red chili powder (Kashmiri)
- ½ tsp Masala powder (Curry powder)
- ¼ tsp Black pepper
- ½ tsp Salt(As per taste)
- ¼ tsp Lemon
- 2 tbsp Roasted powdered sesame seeds
- ¼ tsp Sichuan pepper (optional)
- 1/3 cup Roasted peanuts
- 3 cup Water
- Heat pan on medium heat. Once hot, add 1 tbsp oil. Then add 1/4 tsp of cumin seed, and let it cook for a min.
- Add green chili. Saute it for a min.
- Add onion and cook it until it's golden brown.
- Once the onion is golden brown, add all seasoning, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp masala powder, and 1/4 tsp red chili powder. Mix it well.
- Add chopped tomatoes to the pan, and mix it well. Add salt to taste and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Cover the lid and cook it for 5 mins until tomatoes get mushy and cooked.
- Add cilantro and let it cool down for 5-6 mins before transferring it to the blender.
- Once the sauce cools down, transfer the sauce to the blender. Add 1/4 roasted peanuts, sesame powder, and 1 cup of water and blend it for 20-40 sec until fine paste.
- Transfer the sauce to the pot. Add 2 cups of warm water to the pot, and cook it for 5-6 mins on high heat.
- Make sure the soup cools down before serving. Finally, add 1/4 tsp lemon juice and mix it well.
If you tried this recipe, please let me know how it turned out in the comments below. If you liked it, remember to rate the recipe. Your feedback helps other readers decide if they want to make this recipe. Thank you!