Have you ever thought of combining eggs and cabbage in a curry? If not, you should try this egg cabbage curry recipe!
It is a dish that’s not only packed with nutritious ingredients like cabbage, eggs, and spices, but it’s also delicious.
I have to admit I tend to pair potatoes with almost any vegetable, as is common in many Nepalese households.
For instance, I often make potato cauliflower curry, red cabbage potato curry recipe, or egg potato curry recipe. However, if you’re looking for an alternative to potatoes in a cabbage curry, try pairing it with eggs instead.
It’s a delicious curry and the best part is that it’s easy to make, and you can customize it to your liking.
So, if you’re interested in trying this recipe out, here are step-by-step instructions, a list of ingredients, and some tips to make it even better.
Ingredients for Egg Cabbage Curry
Here are the ingredients you will need to make cabbage egg curry:
Green cabbage – The main ingredient for this recipe. To prepare the cabbage, remove the outer leaves and give it a good wash under cold running water. Then, slice the cabbage into thin pieces or shred it into small bits.
Eggs – A fantastic source of protein and essential vitamins and minerals. Not only do they add a creamy texture to the curry, but they also contribute to its rich flavor.
Onion and tomatoes: A staple ingredients in many curries. You can use white onion and roma tomatoes for this recipe. If not fresh tomatoes, you can use canned tomatoes.
Garlic and ginger: Garlic and ginger are commonly used in curry for their aromatic and medicinal properties. They add depth of flavor and help to boost the immune system.
Spices: Spices such as cumin, coriander, turmeric, and red chili powder. I prefer to use red chili kashmiri powder but feel free to use red chili powder.
Salt as per taste.
Step-By-Step Photo Instructions
#1. To prepare the cabbage egg curry, start by heating oil in a pan. Then add chopped onion and sauté until it softens.
#2. Add chopped cabbage and saute it for a few minutes. Once softened, add all spices (turmeric, coriander, red chili powder, cumin powder and ginger garlic paste. Sauté for a minute. Combine everything well and cook for the few minutes.
#3. Add chopped tomatoes into the pan and cooking until they are soft and mushy. Cover the pan and let it simmer for about 10 minutes or until the cabbage is tender.
#4. Now it’s time to add the eggs. Crack them into the pan and mix them well with the cabbage mixture. Cover the pan again and let it cook for another 5-7 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
#5. Finally, season with salt to taste. Your dish is ready to be served. Serve it hot and enjoy!
Here are a few suggestions to help you enjoy this delicious meal:
One of the most popular ways to serve cabbage egg curry is with rice. The rice can be plain boiled rice or flavored rice like jeera rice, biryani rice, or lemon rice.
Cabbage egg curry can also be served with bread. You can use any bread, such as naan, roti, paratha, or even sliced bread.
Now that you’re ready to serve your delicious egg cabbage curry, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Firstly, make sure to adjust the seasoning according to your taste. Everyone’s preferences differ, so don’t be afraid to add extra spice or salt to suit your palate.
- Add a garnish like chopped cilantro or green onions to add extra flavor and color. This will give your dish a pop of freshness and make it look even more appetizing.
- In case you have some curry left over, you can store it in an airtight container and refrigerate it for a maximum of three days. Before serving, reheat it either in a microwave or a pan to make sure it is hot enough.
Other Curry Recipes
Here are the other curry recipes you might enjoy trying:
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are some variations of cabbage egg curry?
Some variations of cabbage egg curry include adding potatoes, peas, or carrots to the recipe. Also, you can make it spicier by adding more chili powder or adding coconut milk for a creamier texture.
2. Is it safe to eat cabbage and egg together?
Yes, it is safe to eat cabbage and egg together. In fact, it can provide a good balance of protein and fiber in your diet. However, if you have any food allergies or intolerances, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before consuming any new food.
3. Is cabbage and egg good for you?
Cabbage and eggs are nutritious foods that can be part of a healthy diet. Cabbage is low in calories and high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals, while eggs are a good source of protein. When combined in a recipe, they can provide a flavorful and nutritious meal that is low in calories and high in protein, fiber, and other essential nutrients.
Egg Cabbage Curry Recipe
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili Kashmiri powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 3 cup chopped cabbage
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped tomato
- ½ tbsp ginger, garlic paste
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil or any vegetable oil of your choice
- 3 eggs
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Once hot, add chopped onion and sauté chopped onion until it softens.
- Next, add chopped cabbage and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add all spices, ginger, garlic paste, and sauté for a few minutes.
- Next, add chopped tomatoes and let it simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on or until the cabbage is tender.
- Add eggs to the pan. Gently mix with cabbage. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Finally, season with salt to taste and serve hot. Enjoy!
If you tried this recipe, please let me know how it turned out in the comments below. If you liked it, remember to rate the recipe. Your feedback helps other readers decide if they want to make this recipe. Thank you!