Try this delicious and easy creamy gochujang pasta! Perfect for busy weeknights, it requires just a few ingredients. Experience the amazing flavors of Korean-inspired pasta!
Korean cuisine is famous for its rich flavors, varied dishes, and unique ingredients. From bulgogi to spicy kimchi, every bite offers a captivating blend of tastes and textures that’s simply irresistible.
One ingredient that often takes center stage in Korean recipes is gochujang, a traditional Korean fermented chili paste.
Its vibrant red color and rich umami flavor make it a staple in many Korean households. Today, we’ll explore my favorite fusion of Korean and Italian cuisines – creamy gochujang pasta.
Alternatively, if you’re craving something creamy, here’s an easy recipe for creamy gochujang pasta with minimal effort.
Ingredients For Creamy Gochujang Pasta
#Pasta – Spaghetti or any pasta of your choice.
#Onion, tomato: You can use white or red onions. If you prefer, you can use fresh tomatoes or tomato paste.
#Garlic and cilantro or green onion for garnishing.
#Gochujang: You can buy Korean gochujang paste from Asian supermarkets or any asian grocery stores. It is a staple ingredient in Korean cuisine, particularly known for its use in Korean cooking. Gochujang is a fermented chili paste made from red pepper flakes and other ingredients.
#Cream: Heavy cream or light cream.
#Seasoning : Salt, black pepper and red chili pepper flakes or paprika.
#Butter: Alternatively you can use oilve oil or sesame oil.
Step-By-Step Detailed Instructions
#1. To begin, cook the spaghetti in 12 cups of water for 10 minutes on medium-high heat. Once pasta is cooked, strain and let it aside.
#2. Place the butter in a skillet and heat it until it melts. Immediately after the butter melts, add minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
#3. In the next step, add the chopped onion to the skillet along with the butter and garlic and stir until it is combined. Saute it for 2-3 mins until softened. Then add tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are mushy.
#4 Add pepper flakes, black pepper and gochujang paste. Combine everything well.
#5. Add the cream and water to the skillet. Stir well to combine with the gochujang paste. Stir occasionally while cooking until the sauce has thickened. Cook for 5-7 minutes on low heat.
#6. Next, add cooked pasta to the skillet. Toss well to coat with creamy gochujang sauce.
#7. Season with salt to taste. Serve the pasta hot, garnished with fresh chopped cilantro.
Serving and Storage
This pasta is a versatile dish that can be served in many ways. Here are some serving suggestions that you might like to try:
- For extra flavor, sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese on top of the pasta. The salty and nutty flavor of the cheese complements the spicy and creamy sauce perfectly.
- For a delicious twist on this creamy gochujang pasta, try serving it with an omelette. The creamy sauce and spicy gochujang paste pair perfectly with the light and fluffy eggs.
- You can store gochujang creamy pasta in the refrigerator for 2-3 days in an air tight container. Allow pasta to cool down before storing.
Tips and Variations
#Add some veggies
- To make this dish even healthier, add your favorite veggies like broccoli, mushrooms, baby spinach and bell pepper. Simply sauté them with the garlic and onion in step 2 until tender, then proceed with the rest of the recipe as written.
#Use different types of pasta:
- While spaghetti works well in this recipe, you can switch it up with a different kind of pasta. Try using penne or fusilli for a fun twist on this classic Korean-inspired dish.
#Adjust the spice level:
- Depending on how spicy you like your food, you can easily adjust the level of spiciness. Add more gochujang paste or green or red chilies if you want it spicy.
#Make it vegan:
- If you want to make it vegan, replace the cream with coconut milk or another plant-based alternative like cashew cream. You can also omit the butter and use olive oil or sesame oil for a healthier option.
- Add some protein to the dish. The spicy and creamy pasta goes well with grilled chicken, shrimp, or tofu.
#Try different garnishes:
- While fresh cilantro is a great garnish for this dish, you can also try spring onion or sesame seeds.
Creamy Gochujang Pasta Recipe
- 0.3 lb spaghetti or any pasta of your choice.
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped tomato
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chipped cilantro
- 1½ tbsp gochujang paste
- ½ cup cream (light/heavy cream)
- black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp red chili flakes or paprika
- 1 tbsp butter or oil
- 12 cups water (Boil pasta)
- ½ cup water for sauce
- Place the butter in a skillet and heat it until it melts. Immediately after the butter melts, add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- In the next step, add the chopped onion to the skillet along with the butter and garlic and stir until it is combined. Saute it for 2-3 mins until softened. Then add tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are mushy.
- Add pepper flakes, pepper, and gochujang paste. Combine everything well.
- Add the cream and water to the skillet. Stir well to combine with the gochujang paste. Stir occasionally while cooking until the sauce has thickened. Cook for 5-7 minutes on low heat.
- Next, add pasta to the skillet. Toss well to coat the pasta evenly with the creamy gochujang sauce.
- Season with salt to taste. Serve the pasta hot, garnished with fresh chopped cilantro or green onions.
If you tried this recipe, please let me know how it turned out in the comments below. If you liked it, remember to rate the recipe. Your feedback helps other readers decide if they want to make this recipe. Thank you!