Looking for a new way to enjoy chicken franks? Give this Chicken Franks Curry recipe a try! This flavorful dish is a fusion of South Asian and Western flavors, combining the classic curry with the hot dog for a unique and delicious taste.
With its simple blend of spices and ingredients, this recipe is easy to prepare in under 20 minutes.
Whether you prefer them fried, chili, or even as a curry, chicken franks or hot dogs are versatile foods packed with flavor.
Try this recipe if you’re short on time and want to make a delicious curry. It’s perfect when served with rice or roti as a side dish.
Here are step-by-step instructions on how to make this Chicken Franks Curry or chicken sausage curry recipe.
Ingredients for Chicken Franks Curry
Chicken Franks: These are hot dogs or sausages made of chicken. Feel free to choose any meat of your choice.
Onion and Tomato: These are key ingredients to give curry its rich and flavorful base: finely chopped tomatoes and white onion.
Ginger and Garlic: Fresh ginger, garlic, or powdered versions can also be used. It adds a bold, fragrant flavor to the dish and enhances the overall taste profile.
Spices: Cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili Kashmiri powder, and turmeric powder.
Salt: Salt should be added carefully, keeping in mind that chicken franks already contain salt.
Oil: Olive oil or any vegetable oil.
Cilantro: Cilantro to garnish to add freshness to the dish.
Water: Warm water.
Step-By-Step Photo Instructions
#1. Heat oil in a pan. Once hot, add chopped chicken franks, stir for 2-3 minutes on medium-high heat, and fry until golden brown. Once fried, remove it from the pan and set it aside.
#2. Add oil to the pan. Once hot, add chopped onion and saute it for a few minutes. Once the onion has softened, add minced ginger-garlic and all the spices (red chill, turmeric, coriander, and cumin powder). Mix well and cook for a minute.
#3. Then, add chopped tomatoes. Cook until they become soft and mushy.
#4. Add water to the pan and mix everything until well combined. Cover the pan with a lid. Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
#5. Then add fried chicken franks and combine everything well. Let it cook for a few minutes on medium-high heat.
#6. Finally, add salt to taste, garnish with cilantro, and serve hot with rice or roti.
Once the chicken frank curry is ready, there are several ways to serve it. Here are a few suggestions:
- The chicken franks curry pairs well with steamed rice, plain rice, or even with fried rice.
- You can also serve the chicken franks curry with bread. Naan, roti, or other Indian bread would be a great choice.
- You can serve the chicken frank curry with a side salad.
Store chicken franks curry in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. If you want to keep it longer, consider storing it in the freezer for up to two months.
There are several ways to customize the Chicken Franks Curry recipe to suit different tastes and preferences. Here are a few possible variations:
For those who prefer a vegetarian option, the chicken franks can be substituted with a vegetarian alternative such as tofu or paneer. The cooking time may vary depending on the protein used, so it is important to adjust accordingly.
Additional chili powder or chopped fresh chili peppers can be added to the recipe for those who enjoy a spicier taste.
To achieve a creamier texture, coconut milk or heavy cream can be added to the curry. This will also add a slightly sweet flavor to the dish.
Other Curry Recipes
Here are some delicious curry recipes that you might enjoy.
Chicken Franks Curry (Sausage Curry)
- 4 chicken franks
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp red chili kashmiri powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil (To fry chicken franks)
- ½ tbsp olive oil ( for rest of curry)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped tomato
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 cup water (warm water)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp minced ginger
- Cut chicken franks into small pieces and fry in a pan until golden brown. Set aside. (Fry 2-3 mins on a medium-high heat.)4 chicken franks, 1 tbsp olive oil (To fry chicken franks)
- Heat oil in a pan.½ tbsp olive oil ( for rest of curry)
- Sauté onions until softened.½ cup chopped onion
- Add minced ginger-garlic and spices (cumin, coriander, turmeric, and red chili powder.) Cook for 2-3 minutes.½ tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp red chili kashmiri powder, ½ tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp minced garlic, ½ tsp minced ginger
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook until soft.½ cup chopped tomato
- Add water, cover, and simmer for 2-3 minutes.1 cup water (warm water)
- Then, add fried chicken franks and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Finally, season with salt and garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with rice or roti.salt to taste, 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
If you tried this recipe, please let me know how it turned out in the comments below. If you liked it, remember to rate the recipe. Your feedback helps other readers decide if they want to make this recipe. Thank you!