If you’re looking for a tasty and unique salad to add to your main dish, you should definitely try Aloo Matar ko achar! This Nepali pickled salad is perfect for those who love potatoes and want to try something new.
Aloo Matar ko achar is a famous vegetable pickle salad in Nepal made with boiled potatoes, vegetables, and various spices. In other words, we called it to mix vegetable achar. Usually served as a side dish, this dish is a favorite among many. This is among the most common dishes served at many homes, parties, or gatherings. Here is a simple and delicious Aloo Matar ko achar recipe that you can try at home.
Ingredients Aloo Matar Achar
#Vegetables You Need
- Potato: Potato is the key ingredients for this achar. You can use red, white or baby potato. I am using red potato for this recipe.
- Peas: Dry green peas. Peas need to be soaked overnight for this recipe. But if you don’t like the taste of raw peas, you can substitute them with cooked peas.
- Salt (As per taste)
- Lemon juice
- Oil- Any vegetable oil of your choice.
- Green Chili
- Fenugreek seeds
- Tumeric powder
- Red chili kashmiri powder
- Cumin powder
- Sichuan pepper-timur (optional)
Step-By-Step-Photo Instructions To Make Nepali Achar
#1 Prepare potatoes by boiling potatoes in 5-6 cups of water on medium heat. Once the potato is cooked, prepare it by cutting it into small pieces.
Tips: Cut potato into halves while boiling to make it easier to cook. But if you are using baby potatoes, you can skip cutting.
#2 Transfer the boiled potato, green peas, and all the chopped vegetables(carrot, onion, cucumber, and cilantro) to the bowl.
Tips: Soak 1/3 cup of dried green peas overnight before making Aloo Matar Ko Achar.
#3 Add all seasonings; turmeric powder, salt to taste, Kashmiri chili powder, cumin powder, Sichuan pepper, and roasted sesame powder (white & black) to the bowl.
Tips: Sesame seeds should be roasted and powdered. You can use a blender to grind sesame seeds. You can use either black or white sesame seeds. I am using both for this recipe.
#4 Heat the oil in a pan. Once hot, add fenugreek seeds. Let it cook until the color changes to brown. Once brown, add oil to the bowl. Mix everything well, then finally add lemon.
Combine everything well, and Aloo Matar or mix achar is ready to serve.
What To Serve With Aloo Matar Ko Achar?
Aloo Matar ko achar is served with rice or roti as a side dish. I love eating it with chuira (beaten rice.) However, you can serve it with anything you prefer, whether rice or roti!
Please comment below if you want to share your thoughts or suggestions on Aloo Matar ko achar!
Other Nepali Recipes
- Nepali Cucumber Ko Achar
- Spicy Potato Salad
- Chicken Choila
- Nepali Tomato Achar With Sesame
- Dry Potato Curry
Aloo Matar Ko Achar (Nepali Mix Achar Recipe)
- Chopping board
- Non-sticky pan
- 3 Potatoes (0.6 lb)
- 1/3 cup Dry green peas Overnight-soaked peas
- 1/2 cup Chopped onion
- 1 cup Chopped carrot
- 1 cup Chopped cucumber
- 1/3 cup Cilantro
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 Green chili (Add more chili if you prefer spicy)
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seed
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chili Kashmiri powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Sichuan powder (Timur)
- Salt (As per taste)
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Black sesame powder
- 3 tbsp White sesame powder
- Boil potatoes in 5-6 cups of water on medium heat. Once the potato is cooked, prepare it by cutting it into small pieces.
- Transfer the potato, overnight-soaked green peas, and all the chopped vegetables(carrot, onion, cucumber, and cilantro) to the bowl.
- Add all seasonings; turmeric powder, salt to taste, Kashmiri chili powder, cumin powder, Sichuan pepper, and roasted sesame powder to the bowl.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Once hot, add fenugreek seeds. Let it cook until the color changes to brown. Once brown, add oil to the bowl. Add lemon and mix everything well.There you go, Nepali Achar is ready to serve.
If you tried this recipe, please let me know how it turned out in the comments below. If you liked it, remember to rate the recipe. Your feedback helps other readers decide if they want to make this recipe. Thank you!